WhiskyInvestDirect

Friday, December 7, 2018

My biggest lessons of 2018



At the end of every year I make sure to take time and reflect back on my year and to have a good look at my successes, the new things I have discovered about myself, and more importantly the lessons I have learned from my mistakes and failures


I am a firm believer in constantly working on myself, and that I can always strive to be a better person, and it’s one of the reasons that I make sure I take this time to reflect every year.

This year, I really wanted to share my top 3 lessons of 2018 with you, as I believe we don’t just learn from our mistakes, but the mistakes of others too.


Get enough sleep!

Getting up at 5am with a lot of gusto and rather large pot of coffee, had been my daily routine for some time. I’d get up and drink coffee, write in my journal, do a little exercise and top it off with a meditation, and be ready to start the rest of my day by 7am.

It was really great, I could get a lot of work done, but eventually all I felt was “tired”. And the more tired I felt, the harder it was for me to make it through my days and get up with “gusto” the next morning.

We are human beings, we can function on 5 hours of sleep, absolutely... but just because we can do something, doesn’t mean we should. In order to function at your peak, seven to eight hours of sleep per night is the pest way of going about doing things.

In fact what I discovered is that in the long term, by sleeping more hours every night, I was able to get more work done in the long run. It’s not about having more time to do things, but rather about having the energy you need to get things done.

For more on this I highly recommend watching Vishen Lakhiani’s videos on the importance of sleep.




Exercise your mind

You can do this by reading more (something I loved doing more of this year) or by studying  – take a short course, perhaps even taking an hour long online Masterclass or two.

Learning new ideas and concepts is invigorating, it keeps you thinking and discovering. It’s true, the saying, that “You don’t know what you don’t know”. Opening yourself up to learning new ideas and ways of thinking can hugely affect your life, and bring around transformation.

Even if you are learning about or reading about a concept you are already fully aware of, you might learn a new technique or approach the changes your understanding of that concept and how to apply it to your life.



Listen to yourself

I think intuition is underrated. There have been a few times this year when I have found myself feeling unsure about where I am headed. I think this is all “par for the course” when you make a huge life and career change, as I had decided to do this year.

When big changes happen, questioning yourself is only natural, “Am I doing the right thing? What was I thinking, starting from scratch again?” But what I discovered, in the moments when I felt the most “in turmoil” all I had to do was stop, and listen to myself.

I started the habit of asking myself, “If I had the choice, what would I want to be doing right now?” I close my eyes, and really think about what it is I would rather be doing, and you know what? I would then go and do just that.

I started this new course of my life because “It felt right”, I intuitively knew that I wanted to help people to find their own financial freedom. My goal had been to be “In the Flow” of both the universe, and with myself. If at any time I felt like I was sinking or struggling to move forward, it quite simply meant that I wasn’t doing what I was meant to be doing. So I would make a point of stopping and asking myself what I should be doing, and then I would listen to my inner voice for the answer (this is also a really great approach for a daily meditation).

I would then act on that answer. As a result, I feel like I have truly changed and evolved a lot this year, I feel better about who I am, what I am doing and where I am headed. And of course this leaves me feeling quite excited about the coming year.

My advice to you; take a moment, reflect on the Good, the Bad and the absolute Ugly of 2018. Look at the lessons this year has thrown at you, and then ask yourself “What should I be doing now?” or “What is the right path for me?” – and then the most important part comes... listen to yourself, listen to that answer, and then, if it feels right, act on it.


I hope you are as excited for the upcoming year, and remember that no matter what you do, always take the time to invest in yourself!




No comments: