WhiskyInvestDirect

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Whose Voice Are You Listening to? by Kim Vermaak



In the book Little Voice Mastery by Blair Singer, he talks about the little voice that we all have inside of us with management can allow us to step out of our current circumstances and rise above mediocrity.

This goes beyond affirmations, it is by starting to ask ourselves, whose voice are we actually listening to?  Sometimes people who love us, want us to avoid pain and when they see us going down a road that they don't understand, they may try to steer us away from our vision or goal.


When I started my business 18 years ago, my mother told me not to do this for too long, as if it did not work, then it would be really hard to get a job again.  Was she trying the sabotage me? Certainly not.  She was living over 1000 km away and was panicked that if it did not work, she was too far away for me to simply come home and start over again.

But the words stuck in my heart.  When things went wrong, I did not say to myself, well that was a great lesson. Most very successful entrepreneurs have had very painful lessons to learn from.  I fretted that my mother would think that I was a failure and her cautionary words were obviously right.
Maybe I did not have what it takes to be successful.

It was only once I realized that my parents who had only ever been employees, did not have the knowledge or experience to guide me through entrepreneurship, did I begin to minimize that voice.

For how many of you do these kind of experiences ring true?

Now my mantra is how can I learn from what just happened?  About 2 years ago my mentor introduced me to a woman in the advertising and event industry and when she asked how long I had been in business, she said:
"Wow, that is an achievement by anyone's standards".  She had built up her own business, so her viewpoint came from a place that recognized what I had achieved.

I realized that I had to re-frame my experience of the world and who I need to listen to.  This does not mean that you have to ignore anyone who is not like you.  My friend is a bookkeeper and my most avid supporter over the years. I knew nothing about admin and bookkeeping and taxes.  I learned hard lessons and my friend helped me to learn SageOne and taught me about tax returns. So I grew and learned from her.

But many bookkeepers are naturally risk-averse.  They have to be because they are responsible for keeping you compliant and keeping the cash flow healthy. But in many cases, they are not the people who are going to catapult you into greatness.  So expecting them to do so, or being disappointed when they do not buy into your vision, is not fair to either of you.

You really want to choose a range of people, who are good at what they do and learn from them through their experience. Personally, I would not go to a dentist if I had a problem with my heart.  So why do we feel that we need to take everyone's advice to heart?

The big thing that comes across in this book is that while we are born for greatness, not many of us follow through.

When we start asking real questions of ourselves, we may find areas that we need improvement in. But we may also find areas that we are really great in.

We need to choose whose voice we listen to so that we can take the correct paths to growth.

There is a super online Diagnostic on the Little Voice Mastery Website to help you along the way.

Also, grab a copy of the book Little Voice Mastery and begin to take charge of your own Little Voice and begin to reach those goals of yours.


No comments: